You Are Reading

Aesthetics.

1. The Heads Of State - Image for Body + Soul magazine. 

Aesthetically it's safe to say that I find this pleasing. Firstly the mustard yellow on black gives my eyes a strong contrast. Secondly centrally positioned images like this is a composition I always appreciate, something about the focus being bang in the middle is right for me. Thirdly the textures of paint and wood add another element to a piece which could otherwise feel flat. It gives it that organic quality. Lastly the subject matter intrigues me, I love images where they are so simple yet feel like there's so much more to them, like an underlying message I haven't yet discovered, whether that message is meant to be there or one that's personal to me doesn't matter.

2. The Heads of State - Travel Series (Miami).

Same studio but again they do work which I can't help but find visually captivating. Print based media has a soft spot in my heart, whether it's to do with the texture you can get through this or the links with traditional artwork. This still has the use of block graphic shapes used to create an impression of an image which I like. I'm not one for realism really unless it's photography.


3. Henri Matisse - Red Bedroom.

I prefer impressionist and expressionist painters to realists. To me photography killed realist painting and though it can show a lot of skill I think it doesn't realize the true potential of painting. Paintings like this which show a world which we never see, that of another's imagination and vision, is what truly appeals to me.



4. Henri Matisse - Bonheur.

Again Matisse creates a fantasy world which feels like your looking into someones dream. The colour balance is what does it for me on this piece, so many used but manages to keep such a striking harmony.


5. Homer Sykes - Various Works. - http://www.homersykes.com/ All Photographs used copyright of Homer Sykes.

Went to a talk by this guy in the Blenheim studio theater. His early black and white social documentary photography is my kind of stuff. I like photography to capture a moment of human strife or weirdness. The contrast of shadow is why I tend to opt for black and white over colour photography and the shades of grey dominating the image reflect it's subject matter.


6. My taste in sculpture is similar to that of painting, I like the impressionist artists. Distorted figures with harmonious curves. The truth to materials in sculpture is also appealing, the brown stone and metal used feels rich and dense. 
 

Comments for this entry

Homer Sykes

Hello Joel, if your using my copyright images without my permission, at the very least, would you please provide a link to my website and also add to your blog that these images are my copyright. If you dont want to do that, please remove them.

Many thanks. Glad you enjoyed the lecture.

Homer Sykes

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.