You Are Reading

OUGD401. Evaluation.

1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Academic writing is definitely something that has been fairly new to me. Writing the essay was probably the biggest learning curve and since doing so I feel I am able to analyze in a deeper and thoughtful manner. It has helped me understand harvard referencing and quoting sources correctly within my writing. On the practical side I learnt the importance of gathering relevant and poignant content for any work you plan to do and how to give credits to the authors. 

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

The benefit of knowing your contextual reference so well is that it gives you a strong foundation to build your design decisions upon. Once you know and get a feel for your chosen topic and are aware of the aesthetics and artistic movement which motivated the area then you are basically given a variety of materials to use. For example I wanted to use a bongo skin to print upon for the cover of my publication. This is an immediate link to jazz and music which is an option basically presented to me by looking into the topic. 

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalize on these?

My strengths were the format and contextual influence of my publication. Physical design work turned out well. It's given me a mind to enrich my future work by careful consideration of subject matter and how in many ways you can inject and reflect that into the physical form of a publication etc.

In the end my academic writing felt strong and I was pleased with the final essay. Definitely interests me to continue working on this and progressing into the second year contextual studies. 


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in future?


A better planning of materials is required when developing design work. It left my final piece looking different then the way I'd planned in terms of format. Also I need to realize that different printing processes take time and need to fit around my college schedule. The foiling and cover design I had planned had to be left out due to bad planning.

Essays need a stronger base of research before beginning to write and I also need to follow a stronger structure when talking about others work in critique. 

5. Identify 5 things that you will do differently next time and what you expect to gain from doing these?


- Give stronger advice in criticism of others work to enrich both theirs and my practice.

- Keep on top of lecture notes and allow time for my own research into the topic. Will give me a better understanding. 

- Experiment with more unusual formats of publication design. Results in more original finals. 

- Use the library more for research. Will give me a broader and more in depth research base to build my practice from. 

- Pay more attention to smaller tasks. I will learn more from them. 


6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 
 
5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor   


1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



x

Punctuality




x
Motivation


x


Commitment


x


Quantity of work produced


x


Quality of work produced



x

Contribution to the group




x
 

 

 

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.